Friday, January 6, 2012

Sufficient Redundancy--Continued

So, I'm back with more time to finish out my thoughts on the fact that Jesus taught his disciples to pray "Give us this DAY our DAILY bread."

In meditating on this line... I like to look at what it doesn't say... it doesn't say:
"Give us this day all the bread we'll need for this month."
"Give us this day some bread that we have to figure out when to use."
"Give us our daily bread at some point."

This verse is implying that God wants us to talk to him about what we need on a daily basis! And he wants to provide what we need on a daily basis!!  Its saying we can receive from God everyday and its implying that the portion we'll get is exactly what we'll need for today!  If I believe that Jesus knows what he's talking about... then I can trust that this will happen.  I do not have to worry.  He just wants to have a running dialogue with me.  God is a relational being-- Just like we are! Just like I am... Let's have a daily relationship with him!

So, God has used a handful of situations in the past few days to show me this.  You may think they seem silly... or coincidental.  But I believe that God is a big God who had the power to create everything, therefore he has the power to play a role in every detail of my life... leaving no coincidences.

Tuesday night, I went to dinner with a friend.  While we were catching up on life, we had no idea that I had left my headlights on.  2 hours later we come back to a dead car battery.  Somehow, my keys got stuck in the ignition... so I couldn't get them out to unlock the trunk (which wouldn't pop) to get the jumper cables!

Now, this was happening before I listened to the seminar on prayer.  So, of course I'm praying that we'll be able to get my car going again... but I'm also upset because I was supposed to drive to Florence the next day. (I was worrying about tomorrow!)  Shortened version of this story: After trying and trying and trying...and after thinking we might have a bigger problem besides the battery... We got my car working again! As if nothing had ever happened!  On that day... I had been blessed with friends and family who were helping me and checking on me, and a AAA man who could do the job.  And ultimately, let's face it.  I'm blessed to have a car in the first place!

On Wednesday, I travelled up to Florence, [that's when I listened to the seminar and prayed so much and began meditating on this verse to begin with)  I had my phone glued to my hand like always.  Thanks to my phone I was able to use GPS to find my way, and communicate with the people I was going there to see.  Soon after that, my phone just quit working.  The screen was completely blank.  I could still hear it receiving text messages and phone calls... but I could do nothing about it.  I was quick to tell myself... "okay... you don't NEED a cell phone... don't be a spoiled brat about this.  God is giving you what you need today..." But I was also pissed about my phone not working and worrying about the drive back home to Birmingham the next day.  (What about GPS then? what about the fact that just the night before my car was messed up! I don't want to be stranded on the interstate with no cell phone!!)  But I put my faith in God's care and prayed again. "Give me this day my daily bread".  I just accepted the fact that, contrary to what I wanted (my phone to WORK!) it obviously wasn't what I needed.  I had friends with cell phones that allowed me to contact my family so they wouldn't be worried, and to communicate with Verizon about the situation.  To my relief and gratefulness we got a new phone ordered.  But, I wouldn't get it in the mail til Friday morning... leaving me to still trust that God would give me my daily bread tomorrow.  I didn't love the fact that I was going to go 2 days without my cell phone, but my needs were met for that day.  I just prepared myself to trust that same promise for the next day.

Thursday morning, I woke up with an understanding that, phone or no phone, I'd be taken care of.  Sure enough, my phone was still not working. But it wasn't 10 minutes... before it mysteriously just WORKED!  So, I was able to communicate with the 8 (yes, eight) people that I needed to that morning. And I was able to GPS my way back home.  He had provided my daily bread again.  And today, I should be getting a brand new, better phone in the mail.

There are a hundred more details that I could share of smaller complications on these days.. but ultimately I think my point is clear.

We should pray: Give us this DAY our DAILY bread.
Because God wants to give us what we need today.


Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own  Matthew 6:34.

For all you tweeps... you should follow @firstworldpains ... it is meant to be funny... but I find it to be humbling more than anything.  We are so spoiled.

(Side note:  Of course I believe in planning, and budgeting, and being wise in your decisions... I think
God wants us to do these things.  But, we are called to trust in Him... not our plans and our budgets.   He wants to show himself faithful to us.  We need to rely on him, not on ourselves!)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a powerful testimony. God is truly using you in all manners of your life. Whether you are at 80 percent or 105 percent you are already in ministry and your ministry is not just to college students! Your ministry extends to those you speak with about support wjether they support you are not. God is using you where you are planted and that includes the piece of potting soil that is my life. Your life, your actions, your love is part of the daily bread that God provides me. Thank you and thank GOD!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is o awsome and confirming. My sperit agrees with yours. I would like to share with you came to me to day in a devotion. " Guide me O Thou Great Jehovahpilgrim through this foreign land. I am weak but Thou art mighty, Guide me with Thy mighty hand." You must pray The way will open. God cares and His plans will unfold.
    I am praying for you and with you that the windows of Heaven will open and pour you a supernatural blessing

    ReplyDelete